While summer means warmer weather, it can also bring a variety of harsh weather conditions, including severe storms. Homeowners should follow these 6 easy steps to help reduce damage to your home if and when a severe storm hits.
- Trim nearby trees and overhanging tree limbs: During a storm, dead tree limbs can get break and cause damage to a home’s exterior or even shatter windows. Heavy rain can also cause trees with shallow root systems to pull out of the ground.
- Secure fences: Ensure your fences are properly secured to help prevent them from being lifted up and thrown against the house by heavy winds.
- Secure outdoor furniture: Heavy winds can cause items like patio furniture and large toys to damage the exterior of your home. Anchor outdoor furniture or bring it indoors before a storm hits. You should also move anything in your yard that can become flying debris inside your house or garage.
- Clean gutters: Help prevent water damage inside your house by having downspouts drain away from your home and clear your gutters of any debris.
- Protect valuables: Inventory valuables and contents in the home with pictures or video. Note the approximate value of each item and the date of purchase. You can also send an inventory to a family member outside your region for safekeeping. Also, make sure important documents, such as an insurance policy or mortgage papers, are stored in a safe deposit or fire safe box.
- Know your homeowner’s insurance policy: It’s critical to read and understand your insurance policy. Examine your property to ensure there are no physical or liability hazards. Ask your agent at the Kim Homra Insurance Agency to review your policy with you to ensure you understand your coverage options.
Brought to you by the Kim Homra Insurance Agency – 2018
2715 Olivet Church Road, Suite 1, Paducah, KY 42001